At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines and strive to continuously meet the unmet needs of patients worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you're our kind of person.
Inhalation Product Development (IPD) at AstraZeneca is a multinational organization that combines decades of experience in inhalation technology whether it is nebulization, pMDI or DPI. Our vision is to develop and provide to patients best-in-class, innovative and sustainable products to deliver medicine via inhalation.
Embedded in the IPD unit is the Analytical Automation and characterization team, which is responsible for the development of automated analytical methods, initially used during the Product Development process, but later also in the commercial QC release. Across the years we have developed and implemented a plethora of automated systems, ranging from small handheld units to large automated robots to pure software applications for the evaluation of analytical data, and we have now set our course towards standardizing on Industry 4.0.
We are now looking for a positive and creative team player with a can-do attitude to join us on our development journey as an Engineering Support Specialist.
Main duties and responsibilities
As an Engineering Support Specialist, you will be an active member in a multi-disciplinary team operating in a creative and enthusiastic environment. As a recognized expert within your area you will:
* Be a key player in launching the world-class Analytical Automation team into the future and Industry 4.0 by actively contributing to the design, development and implementation of novel, first in class, robust, and mainly bespoke, automated systems, both within a Technical and a regulated Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) environment.
* Actively troubleshoot automated systems, by identifying and addressing the root cause, when issues cannot be handled by day-to-day users.
* Work hands-on with our automation and instruments, e.g. assemble in-house designed prototype robots, as well as being responsible for the automation work-shop.
* Optimize the performance of automated systems within the Business as Usual (BAU) phase of their life cycle.
* Collaborate closely with external suppliers of automated systems across the globe.
* Turn novel or improvement design ideas, from yourself or colleagues, into reality by implementing them into BAU, e.g. transforming a sketch from a colleague into a hardware component.
* Train personnel on how to perform routine maintenance of automated systems.
* Operate and collaborate in a global environment with colleagues based in e.g. Sweden, Germany, France and the US.
* In general, share your knowledge across the IPD unit within your area of expertise to drive projects, such as inhaler device development, forward.
* Educational background in mechatronics, or equivalent qualifications and experience.
* Vast knowledge and extensive hands-on experience of mechanical design (CAD), pneumatics, vacuum technology, electronics and electrical installations, silicone molding and mechanics, including material properties.
* Extensive experience in developing industrial automation, both prototypes for technical trials as well as fully validated systems.
* Fair knowledge and hands-on experience of metrology, programming of robotic systems and risk analysis.
* Extensive hands-on experience in dealing with technical problems and in simplifying and solving complex issues.
* Experience of working in a regulated environment, preferably GMP, is beneficial.
* Understanding of the overall drug development process, is beneficial.
* Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
AstraZeneca is one of the world's most exciting bio-pharmaceutical companies. From scientists to sales, lab techs to legal, we're on a mission to turn ideas into life-changing medicines that improve patients' lives and benefit society. We need great people who share our passion for science and have the drive and determination to meet the unmet needs of patients around the world.
If you are interested, apply now! Welcome with your application no later than February 2, 2020. For more information about the role, please contact Maximiliano Zaragoza-Sundqvist, at Maximiliano.Zaragoza-